This module addresses the role that information and communication technologies (ICTs) can play in enhancing the ability and capacity of humans to deal with the impact of climate change and contribute to sustainable development. Dealing with the impact of climate change means either reducing significantly or eliminating its negative effects on people and the natural environment, and this is called abating climate change. The principle of sustainable development is an important guide to ensure that the use of ICTs to abate climate change is done in a way that does not impact on the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
This module focuses on the role that ICTs can play in abating climate change by adopting actions to mitigate the impact of climate change and by adopting actions to adapt to climate change. Since climate and the environment are linked, this module also considers the role of ICTs in helping humans understand the environment that surrounds them, which is a prerequisite for tackling the problems of climate change.
While the module also considers the role of ICTs in disaster risk reduction (DRR) and disaster risk management (DRM), it does so in regards to some new ICT-based applications that are not covered in Module 9, which deals in more detail with the role of ICTs in DRR and DRM.
||Introduction to Climate Change and Green Growth
||ICT Trends and their Implications for Climate Change and Green Growth
||ICTs for Adapting to Climate Change
||ICTs for Mitigating Climate Change
||ICTs for Green Growth and Sustainable Development
The module aims to:
- Inform decision makers of the challenge posed by climate change and its impact on development in developing countries of Asia and the Pacific;
- Raise awareness of the role that ICTs have in climate change adaptation and mitigation;
- Describe the importance of Green Growth, its relevance to the developing world and the role of ICTs in Green Growth; and
- Discuss and suggest policies for the use of ICTs for abating climate change and promoting Green Growth.
After going through this module, readers should be able to:
- Discuss the challenges posed by climate change and its impact on development in the Asia Pacific region.
- Describe the steps that are needed to abate climate change, including some of the policy issues that need to be addressed.
- Present trends in the use of ICTs and how they are being harnessed by some governments as well as some private sector operators and investors to address issues of climate change and sustainable development.
Describe Green Growth and provide examples of its implementation from around the world.