This Primer on Project Management and ICTD provides fundamental concepts and tools utilized in project planning and management. There are two parts to this Primer. Part 1 discusses general concepts and tools in project management for development, as well as the use of general computer applications. This part is intended for students without any or limited technical background on ICT. Part 2 looks into the use of ICTs in managing projects and delves into tools and techniques for managing ICTD projects. This second part will be more appropriate for students with some technical information technology background.
While this Primer is specifically focused on ICTD project management concepts, tools, and techniques, it is anchored on the development framework comprehensively discussed in Primer 1: An Introduction to ICT for Development. Primer 1 provides a foundation for understanding how ICTs can be used for social and economic development, in particular in meeting a country's development goals and needs.
Case examples of ICTD initiatives that support the Millennium Development Goals and other socio-economic development programmes are given in this Primer. Some of the case examples will be taken from Primer 1 and related sources. This Primer will also include fictitious case studies for the purpose of exemplifying the use of project management concepts, tools and techniques, and for enriching discussions and analyses. These case studies use imaginary characters and places but they are mostly based on real life lessons and experiences. Aside from the case studies, activities and simulation exercises are provided and suggested for knowledge and skills application. Throughout these learning activities, students are expected to be analytical and critical.
|Intro||Introduction to Primer Series 2
|1||Project Management Concepts and ICTD
||The Project Team, Stakeholders, and Organizations
||Initiating the Project
||The Project Planning Phase
||Managing the Implementation Phase
||Monitoring, Evaluation and Closing Phases
||Ethics and Lessons in Project Management and ICTD
The primer aims to:
- Introduce students to essential concepts in project management, in the use of ICTs in management, and in managing ICT projects for development;
- Provide the project management phases and processes, disciplines and knowledge areas,and the basic tools and techniques commonly used in relation to different international reference standards for the management of ICTD projects;
- Enhance understanding of project planning and management concepts and applications through instructive features such as case examples and exercises, summaries, discussion questions and list of useful resource materials in every chapter; and
- Describe the project management profession in the context of development and ethics, and the importance of leadership, teamwork, communication, and stakeholders’ participation in managing change.
After receiving training on this module, students will be able to:
- Identify the general concepts of project management, the phases of the project management cycle, and the different tools and techniques available for each phase of the project management cycle;
- Explain the importance of project management for any type of project and how these are used to promote socio-economic development;
- Understand the role of project managers and the importance of working as a team in promoting change in the organization and in the community at large;
- Describe the different approaches, tools and techniques used to manage ICTD projects; and how ICTs are used in project management; and
- Develop a simple project management plan in the context of development, and use project management and ICT tools as a method for advancement.